Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Conversate

Okay, so, while writing a poem earlier, I used the word "conversate" because sometimes I don't really care about proper English. I mean, obviously I mostly don't give a damn because I am constantly raping it. But my spell checker put that glaring red line underneath it that means "that is not a word, you dumb fuck" and so I had to stop (collaborate and listen), look it up, and sort of decide to myself whether bastardizing my native tongue was worth a rhyme.

In the end, I decided yes. Because fuck you. And with poetry I mostly don't care, I straight-up make up words sometimes. Also, I read this article with which I mostly couldn't disagree. Basically it's saying that language is primarily a means of communication, and so long as we all understand each other...what's the big deal? Just because it isn't "correct" doesn't make it not a word. The fact that people use it in the first place makes it a word. Because words are made by people to communicate a...thing. Yes, this is a winning post from me, I know. Me no good with words.

But then of course, there's that other side of me that's all, "Learn English, Muthafucka!" when I hear my peers say something like, "Can you borrow me that pen?" or type, "I here you were part of they're group." I want to peel their faces off. Because apparently I can ruin proper grammar, but no one else is allowed.

So, I guess what I'm saying here is...um...I'm grammatically bi-polar?


No comments:

Post a Comment